The Ugly Face of Vaping: 8 Teens Hospitalized for Severe Lung Damage


In July eight teens have been admitted to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin due to impaired lung function, announced the Department of Health Services on Thursday.

The severity of health condition has varied, with some patients needing assistance in order to breathe – stated Dr. Michael Gutzeit, chief medical officer at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.

The signs of damaged lungs –  shortness of breath, cough, and fatigue – dangerously amplified. Some of the young patients also mentioned anorexia, nausea, and diarrhea amongst the additional symptoms. The X-rays and scan displayed lungs swelling or inflammation depending on the case.

The doctors started to suspect vaping as the main cause, when the tests resulted negative for all types of infectious disease, while the patients, living in Milwaukee, Waukesha and Winnebago counties, reported being regular vapers.

The doctor that assisted their recovery affirmed that improvements are visible, but the long term effects are not quite certain. He warns that the increasing number of vaping teens might be next patients with severe lung damage.

Why Parents Should Be Worried

The popularity of e-cigarettes amongst teens and middle schoolers is a national epidemic in the US. The US Surgeon General states that the figures multiplied with 900% in just four years. Canada records 1 in 5 high school students and 1 in 20 middle school students that caught this habit.

Teenagers usually start with flavoured liquids for e-cigarettes, like cotton candy, peanut butter cups, etc., then move to the ‘next level’ – tabacco – in 80% of the cases. The Wisconsin health department reached this conclusion during an experiment.

There is no research concerning the effects of vape, even it has been introduced on the marker more than a decade ago. The devices can be filled with significant quantities of nicotine, the main addictive component of regular cigarettes, which harms the side of the brain responsible for learning and attention. Another drawback is that in some cases the it exploded in the face due to overheating. Parents should be informed of these risks before a purchase.


Related Posts